A Workflow template demands an action from a user. A workflow triggers a task. The user has to react to respond to the task.
A task can be a simple notification (there is a document for you) or an approval (the user agrees with the document or not). An approval always has a yes and no option.
Every step in a workflow template is called an action and can be sent to one or more users. When a group of users gets a task, it is sufficient that one person responds to the task.
Creating a notification workflow
You want to inform someone that there is a new document for him. He just has to indicate that he saw it. In that case, we use a notification.
- You create a Workflow template and on the left side of the window you click the + sign below the action. You get an action Start Flow with the number 0 (first step of the flow).
- You now indicate Notification, by clicking the + sign. You see that there is no next step. The Flow index sequence is shown in grey. When there is a next step, you see the number 1 in there.
- In the ‘Message’ box, you type the text the user will see.
- The number of days indicates how long the number he sees will remain green. When you leave 7 in the box, the symbol will be green for 6 days, the last day it appears in yellow, and when you are overdue it becomes red.
- The last thing to do is to indicate the user(s) and/or group who get(s) the message.
- That is all you have to do to create a simple notification workflow.
- Save it, drag it on SMARTdoc, link it to a recognition and you are all done.
Creating an approval workflow
With approval templates the user has to say if he agrees or not. There is always a second step in an approval template.
Create the first step
- Click on the + sign in action to start the flow.
- Click the + sign in the Approval part.
- You notice that you get a second step in the Flow Index Sequence: 1. In this part we will define what has to be done with the answers YES or NO.
- Once again you indicate which user and/or group gets the approval message.
- You modify the text the user gets and change the time if wanted.
- The first step of the workflow is ready.
Second step in the approval flow: saying YES
Now you have to decide what happens when the user says YES in the workflow.
- This is a new action: click + in the action part.
- Type Flowindex 1 and select value True (you might have to push more than once the Value button).
- The action that follows to a Yes can be a Notification or another Approval by someone else. When choosing approval you get Flow Index Sequence 2.
Second step in the approval: saying NO
What has to happen when the user indicates NO in the workflow?
- This is a new action: click the + in the action part.
- Type Flowindex 1 and select value False.
- Once again this step can be a notification for someone or a new approval. When asking an approval, you will automatically get to step 2 in the Flow Index Sequence. This means you can create a complete chain of flows.
File actions in a workflow
Next to the notifications and approvals you can also add FileActions to a workflow.
FileActions can be different kind of actions:
- Export: exports the indexes to a file
- Start Flow: will start another workflow (be sure to type the right name)
- SQL Query: type a statement to activate a change in the SMARTdoc database
- Shell: start another program
- Email: open an Email message that can be send to someone; you can define the recipient as well as the message
- Webservice: triggers the special Webservice program.
Example of a SqlQuery
The SQL below changes the value of an index in the SMARTdoc database:
<FileAction Type="SqlQuery" TemplateName="" DestinationFolder="c:\temp" DestinationFileName="export.csv" SqlQuery="UPDATE [FileIndex]
SET [Data] = 'booked' WHERE [FileID] = @fileid AND [Name] = 'bookkeeping' AND [Data] = 'not booked'
This query will change the value from not booked to booked in the index bookkeeping.
Another example that can be used to change the security settings:
SET [SecurityID] = (
FROM [Template] T
WHERE [T].[ID] = 123456
WHERE [ID] = @fileid
If you need help on creating file actions, don’t hesitate to contact us.